The Department of History at Lady Doak College was established first as an Under Graduate Department in 1971 and further expanded as a Post Graduate Department in 1987. Since 2009-2010, M.Phil is being offered. The Department, which has a MoU with the DHAN Foundation since 2013, is able to receive the necessary assistance from them for the field visits (on the spot study) which is beneficial for the students. The Department also has collaborated with the Tamil Nadu State Department of Archaeology and the Government Museum, Madurai and a MoU has been signed with the Tamil University, Thanjavur to organise field visits and training programmes.
The Department aims to produce highly competent readers and writers of history who are committed to truth and who would uphold the values of India, who will act with compassion and zeal for the betterment of all the people of this country and others through their historiographic knowledge and skills. With social responsibility they will also promote justice, peace and harmony in a pluralistic society like that of ours.
The Department envisions to transform young women into inclusive, broad minded wholesome human beings with a critical understanding of the past thereby effectively choosing to create the future.
To enable students to
• exhibit understanding of the past and in-depth knowledge of particular historical periods • acquire knowledge of key historical concepts • apply concepts from history to current issues and suggest solutions • pursue micro level research in collaboration with various organizations • articulate major ideas from classroom learning and outside through presentations • develop independent and critical thinking • experience an all- round development of their personalities • prepare for life and to become useful citizens
• develop a passion for learning history
• understand the essentials of Indian democracy
• get opportunities to interact with various NGOs
• report /present findings of research in academic bodies/conferences leading to publication in journals/proceedings
• prepare for pursuing higher studies and appear for competitive examinations
• 100% of the students to complete their Under Graduate Programme • 100% to pursue higher studies • 50% to get employment
• B.A. History • M.A. History
Department of History
Lady Doak College
Madurai - 625 002